Monday 7 April 2014

Guatemala: Tikal and Flores

We hopped, skipped and jumped over the Belizean-Guatemalan border and drove to Tikal, probably the most famous Mayan ruins after Chichen Itza and according to my Lonely Planet, far more impressive. I can't make an informed decision on that as I haven't been to Chichen Itza but I can tell you that Tikal is pretty superb. In my mind it's on parallel with Machu Pichu but the difference with Tikal is that you don't have to almost die from altitude sickness and sleep in freezing tents to get there but instead happily amble through the jungle, stopping along the way to say hi to spider monkeys and toucans in the trees. Granted, it was pretty damn humid but a sweat drenched body never hurt anyone. 































































Our guide was one of those darling men you just wish was your grandpa (just me?). Softly spoken, smily Abuelo Miguel was extremely knowledgeable and had that enchanting passion about his job despite having done it for 20 years. His 'office' (the jungle) as he called it was his whole world and it was evident that his devotion was unyielding. He had an incredible ability to spot something rustling in the trees which was honestly miles away to our naive eyes. A highlight of the day -when he spent a good five minutes trying to help Ali see a Toucan for Ali to tell him that he was colour blind and couldn't see things against a green background. 

A short drive to Rio Dulce and a welcome swim in the lake before street food (tostadas, tacitos and everything in between) and drinks. A few of us decided we were tired and starting heading back to the hotel, only to be lured by the Latin beats of a local bar and before we knew it we had joined a conga line and were twerking away in the middle of a circle of excitable Guatemalans! "I love a little dance before bedtime".



































5 hour drive to Rio Dulce, weaving our way through landscapes along the way. A stop off at a gas station and the best coconut ice cream I've ever tasted. Words can't describe it. There are two types of people in the world -those that like coconut and those that don't. And I don't trust those that don't. I was clearly too enthralled and utterly terrified that my ice cream would melt so didn't manage to get photographic evidence but fear not, if I do anything with my life it will be to hunt down that ice cream again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS